With clear vision and goals you live your life by design and not by accident. Few people have a clear dream in life about what they want to accomplish and how do they want to live. If you are one of them and you have a clear vision for your life, next step is to break the vision into goals which will guide you to achieve your vision.
If you are still figuring out what is your vision in life or you might have a vague sense of what you want from life, the first step is to set your vision clear. You can effectively use your interest, values and skills to identify your vision. Below short articles will help you to start thought process about identifying what is your vision for happiness and personal success in life.
- What is Success? & Tool to identify your personal success aim : Apart from understanding what is success in life, this article has few questions and answering them will help you to initiate your thought process to identify your own vision in life.
- Inner success v/s outer success : What is more important for you. Achievement based success which is praised by social world or inner success based on your happiness. How about balancing both. Also know what is impact success.
- Your diamonds of success, a short story : Explore your inner skills & values to help identifying your vision for personal success.
From Vision to Goal:
Vision and goals are two different things. Vision is about your destination. It’s about the larger picture reflecting what you want to accomplish. Goals are the stepping stones which help to reach the vision. To make your vision powerful, you must think big. It’s OK to have a vision which might look beyond the reach at present time.
“A Vision is not just a picture of what could be; It is an appeal to our better selves, a call to become something more.”– Rosabeth Moss Kanter
Why setting Goals:
Breaking your Vision in to set of smaller goals will help you to carve a path to achieve your vision. It will actually design a specific plan to achieve your vision. While breaking your vision into set of smaller goals you need to think realistic. This is where the art of making SMART goals comes to the picture.
SMART Goals: SMART means Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic & Time-sensitive.
- Specific: Be very specific about what you want form the goal. Define exact achievement scenario.
- Measurable: Quantify your goal achievement criteria. You will know how much have you achieved.
- Attainable: Be fair about what can you accomplish. This will help you to keep motivated to achieve.
- Realistic: You goal need to be doable and practical.
- Time-sensitive: Your each goal must be time bound. By when do you want to achieve a goal?
Goals are set of specific smaller targets which helps you to keep on track and move you towards achieving your vision. So while setting each goal, ask if it will help you to reach closer to your vision.
Tip: While setting a vision, do not make it like SMART goal otherwise you will end up with much smaller vision for yourself.
Be Flexible: When you set larger vision there are possibilities you might not be able to visualize your complete path towards the vision. When you move closer to the vision with each goal, things keep getting clearer. You might face things which were unknown at the time of setting your vision. While each goal need to pass the test of being SMART goal as above, you also need to have a space for flexibility for uncertainty or for things beyond your control.
Once your vision and goals are set, you will start responding in a better way to any life events or life challenges. You will be able to take an informed decisions to stay on track and design your own journey in life. Living life without visions or goals is like living by accident. Without Vision or goals you will still be able to take decisions guided by your value and culture but you won’t be heading anywhere in the end. With clear vision you will be able to live your live like you are the hero in your own movie.
Next step: How to achieve your goals?
Sign up for email newsletter and get inspirational updates and knowledge you can use on your way to success, delivered directly to your inbox.